Electrical Safety Tips for Kids
At Owen Electric Cooperative, we understand your child’s health and well-being are your top priority. With more than 140,000 electrical fires occurring each year, knowledge of electrical safety is necessary to ensuring your loved ones stay safe. Here are a few tips you can share with your little ones:
Electrical fires are caused when a wire or electrical device overheats. It is important to make sure your children understand that water cannot extinguish this type of fire. Only fire extinguishers can be used to remedy this situation.
In addition to the previous tip, it is never a good idea to mix water with electricity. Keep blow dryers, radios and any other electrical devices away from all water, especially those used in a bathroom.
Keep metal objects out of appliances and plugs. If a piece of toast gets stuck in the toaster, never use a metal knife to retrieve it. Unplug the toaster, and use a different tool or utensil to remove the toast. Remember, only plugs should go in outlets. Sticking fingers or other objects in outlets may result in an electrical shock.
It’s always a good idea to turn lights off when they are not in use. This will save your family money on your electric bill and prevent electrical fires from overheated bulbs.
Kids will be kids, and they love the great outdoors. Remind them to avoid overhead power lines. Whether they are climbing trees or flying kites or remote-controlled toys, they should always be mindful of what is above.
Talk to your children about the importance of electrical safety, and more importantly, lead by example – because you never know who’s watching. For more information about electrical safety, visit esfi.org.
Kaley Lockwood writes on consumer and cooperative affairs for the National Rural Electric Cooperative Association, the Arlington, Va.-based service arm of the nation’s 900-plus consumer-owned, not-for-profit electric cooperatives.